This collection of mesophilic heirloom yogurt starters can be cultured right on your counter at room temperature, so it’s easy to make these re-usable varieties.
- Each box contains 2 packets of each culture: Viili, Filmjölk, Piimä, and Matsoni (see more below).
- Activate 1 packet using 1-2 cups pasteurized milk (store 2nd packet in the freezer as a back-up).
- Cultures on the countertop at room temperature, 70º-77ºF, no appliance required.
- Suitable for use with pasteurized whole milk and with raw dairy milk or non-dairy milk, with special care.
- Avoid ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
- Reusable culture: a small amount of each batch can be used to make the next batch and recultures from batch to batch indefinitely.
Heirloom Starter Cultures Included in the Box
- Viili Starter Culture (5200): A Finnish yogurt variety, Viili is very mild and creamy, with a fairly thick consistency. It’s a versatile favorite that’s perfect on its own or in any yogurt recipe.
- Filmjölk Starter Culture (5201): Another Finnish variety, Filmjölk has a tangy flavor reminiscent of cheese and a custard-like texture. It’s great with fresh fruit or over pie. Kids love it!
- Matsoni Starter Culture (5202): Matsoni, from The Republic of Georgia, has a thin, custard-like texture with notes of honey. Its flavor is the most “yogurty” and is a popular choice for frozen yogurt.
- Piimä Starter Culture (5203): Piimä, a Scandinavian variety, is very thin and drinkable with a mild flavor. Culture it with cream instead of milk to make a tasty sour cream-like topping.
Ingredients and Allergen Information
- Organic milk, live active cultures.
- This product contains no GMO ingredients.
- Manufactured in a facility that also produces products containing soy and dairy.
- Refrigeration recommended.
- Use by date on box.