Use this versatile mesophilic cheeseculture to make flavorful semi-soft and fresh cheeses at home! FromCheddar, Colby, and Monterey Jack to Feta, Chèvre, and more,you'll enjoy the flavor and variety of homemade cheeses using thisstarter culture.
- Each box contains 8 packets of direct-set starter culture.
- Store extra packets in the freezer.
- Use as directed by your recipe or at the following rate: 1 packet per gallon of milk, 2 packets per 2-4 gallons, or 4 packets per 5-10 gallons.
- Heat milk and culture according to temperatures outlined in your recipe.
- Avoid using ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
- Direct-set (single-use) culture, no maintenance required.
Mesophilic Direct-Set Starter Culture Ingredients
- Sucrose, Maltodextrins, Lactic bacteria (Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris)
Mesophilic Direct-Set Starter Culture Allergen Information
- This product is manufactured in a facility that also produces products containing soy and dairy.
Shipping Information and Shelf Life
- Mesophilic Direct-Set Starter Culture is dehydrated and shipped in a barrier-sealed packet.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Use by date on box.
What is a Direct-Set Culture?
Direct-Set cultures are a one-time-use culture, they cannot be recultured (i.e. perpetuated beyond the single batch). Direct-Set cultures are often preferred by cheese makers as they require no maintenance or care. Simply keep the packet in the freezer and remove the portion for your recipe when it's time to make cheese. Most Direct-Set cultures contain multiple doses to inoculate multiple batches.